Skip to main content

'A' is for April & Alora's Bedroom

April is one of my favorite months. Easter usually falls at the beginning of the month, and besides celebrating the Resurrection, it's also a time for family and fellowship, (oh how I miss the days when I could get away with bonnets for the girls and a tie for the Dude!). The weather begins changing and I greatly appreciate those first few warmer days of spring, after a dreary and sun-deprived winter. April also means the start of the home stretch for the kid's schooling, as Spring Break happens and then prepping for M-Step starts, as well as the beginning of the countdown for days left in the school year. And on a more personal note-this April marks my 4 year weight-loss maintenance anniversary. With something like a 90 percent failure rate for weight loss adherence beyond 2 years, I continue to be humbled by the fact that I'm one of the very few people who are successfully maintaining their weight loss, long term. This time of year is always one of reflection for me, as I review what I'm doing and make adjustments to carry on maintaining my 50lbs loss for another year.

We're also kicking the month off with a house project! We're not going to be doing a lot in terms of remodeling the kid's bedrooms, but all three rooms need to be updated, with wallpaper removal in Violet and Gavin's rooms and new paint and doors for all three rooms. I started with Alora's room and used time during Spring Break to paint her walls. A big thank you to my mother-in-law, Pat, and sister-in-law, Jessie, for helping me with this! And to my father-in-law, Don, for coming in afterwards to finish up all the hard parts :)


We're almost done with it-just need to finish the trim and ceiling paint yet. The walls were a dingy off-white color with country blue accents, (everywhere!). We freshened things up by fixing the many holes and marks and painting the walls white, changing the window/door trim to white, and then we're going to be painting the ceiling trim a lighter blue, (more of a Robin's Egg blue). We also have a new bedroom door on order and that should arrive in the next few weeks.


Before

Before

Work in progress

Work in progress

Cat wanted to look out window right after we primed window ledge!